How can HIV be prevented?
Yes! You can protect yourself from HIV through the following means:
- The use of condoms and water based lubrication (lube) when you have sex
- Taking PrEP (Pre-exposure Prophylaxis) pills consistently and for at least seven days. You’ll thereafter remain protected for as long as you keep taking PrEP
- Engaging in less risky sex (eg, oral sex, mutual masturbation)
- Having sex with an HIV negative person
- Having sex with an HIV positive partner who is on effective treatment and is confirmed to be ‘undetectable’ (the virus is suppressed)
Engage Men’s Health offers free and confidential sexual health services to gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM) in Johannesburg, Tshwane, Nelson Mandela Bay and Buffalo City – with no judgment. Services include free HIV and other STI testing, free ARV treatment and free PrEP (which prevents HIV). Call or WhatsApp us on 082 607 1686.